This is a selection of links to topics that relate to our lovely church and its congregation. The usual caveats apply - no endorsement is made by virtue of the link itself.
Our Church Building
The Church was designed by JEK Cutts (1847 - 1938), a pupil of Ewan Christian (the well-known church architect who was also responsible for the National Portrait Gallery). Cutts, who was later joined by his brother JP Cutts, started in practice in 1873. St Peter's was one of his earlier works.
A copy of Cutts's drawing of the church, described as a Proposed District Church for Holy Trinity Clapham, is available on the Archiseek website.
A copy of the plan of the church, as built, can be found on the Church Plans On-Line Project website. Go to Simple Search, then Search by Place, then "C", then scroll down to CLAPHAM, St Peter (Surrey). There is then a small picture of the church plan. Click on this and a larger plan appears. (For copyright reasons we are unable to show this picture here.) The plan shows the extent of the church after the building of the Chancel.
The church is Grade II listed, and an explanation of the listing is available on the British Listed Buildings website:
The great ecclesiastical decorative artist CE Kempe (1837 - 1907) designed the superb reredos.
The organ was built by Alfred Hunter of Clapham. There are many articles on the web about particular Hunter organs, but no general article. A link to a suitable website would be appreciated.
The rood was designed by Nathaniel Hitch (1846 - 1938). Hitch carved the tympanum for JL Pearson's restoration of the north transept of Westminster Abbey.
All Saints, St Andrews, has a page about Hitch.
Amongst other commissions, Hitch also worked on the Black Friar pub at Blackfriars, which was saved from demolition by Sir John Betjeman.
Hallward (1858 - 1948), the much-neglected Arts and Crafts stained glass window designer, was responsible for our set of windows on the north wall showing the Beatitudes. Hallward is thought to have been the inspiration for Basil Hallward in Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Grey.
There is now a comprehensive article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_of_Reginald_Hallward
Alcoholics Anonymous meet at St Peter's.
Our next door neighbour, the Anglo-Spanish Nursery, uses the Lower Hall on weekdays.
Diocese of Southwark
We are in the Diocese of Southwark. Within that, we are in the Archdeaconry of Lambeth in the Kingston Episcopal Area.
Holy Land Pilgrimages
Many who attend St Peter's have been on a number of pilgrimages to the Holy Land organised by McCabe Pilgrimages and led by Fr Derek White.
Mission to Seafarers
We support Sea Sunday (in 2015 it is 12 July), which helps to highlight the work of the Mission to Seafarers.
Most years, some of us make our way to the National Pilgrimage at Our Lady's Shrine at Walsingham. In 2016, the National will be on Monday 30 May.
For a great many years St Peter's has supported the work of the Oxford Mission in India. A quiet corner of Anglo-Catholicism, the Oxford Mission helps poor Indians.
For a number of years in the recent past, we had the pleasure of the ministry from time to time of Fr Jonathan Ewer SSM, the then Provincial of the Society of the Sacred Mission.
Our Hon. Curate, the Revd Caroline Clarke, is Chaplain to Trinity Hospice, the oldest hospice in England. Established in 1891 as the Hostel of God, it was, for many years, run by a nursing order of nuns, the Society of St Margaret of East Grinstead. It is now run on an independent, secular basis and is located in Clapham Old Town, near Holy Trinity.
The West Indian Ex-Servicemen's Association has its headquarters in Clapham Manor Street, opposite the Church. WIESA offers advice and support for ex-service men and women from the West Indies and their dependents. WIESA holds its Remembrance Sunday service at St Peter's.